It’s time for those last minute, need to get out while it’s still warm, activities before the back to school festivities rule our lives again. Why go far away, when Wisconsin has all the active fun you can handle. We might just be very biased, but whether biking, camping, tubing, spelunking, or whatever else you would like to do, you will find it all here in a day or weekend trip, so why go anywhere else?
10. Camping in the backyard, Your House, Wisconsin. Wood - check. Marshmallows - check. Graham crackers - check. Chocolate - check. Kids running around the fire. Yep, we’re all good here. Oh yeah, and there’s the tent, just steps away from all the conveniences of home.
9. City Park, Sheboygan, Wisconsin. Swimming, making sand castles, walking the beach and the nearby city pier will do more than tire out your little ones while making magical summertime memories. Convenient (and free) parking, facilities, and never over-crowded, this one’s a winner. Shhh, keep it to yourselves!
8. Mountain biking, Reforestation Camp, Green Bay, WI, or Kettle Moraine, near Plymouth, WI. Feel the wind through your hair while you dodge the branches and hang on through the curves, if adrenaline is what you seek, Wisconsin has plenty of great mountain biking trails just waiting for your tracks.
7. Disc golf at O’Hauser Park, Menasha, Wisconsin. Could it be any closer?! Grab your bug spray and visit the highest rated course in the area that was just re-designed in 2012.
6. River Tubing, Various Locations near and far, Wisconsin. Shake those adolescents out of the house with some real life action on the river. Be sure to check conditions, as our dry conditions in northeast Wisconsin may change difficulty levels.
5. Kayaking at Whitefish Dunes/Cave Point, Jacksonport, Wisconsin. Cool shade, calm water, and beautiful views you can only catch from the water await on this guided tour that embarks from the beach at Whitefish Dunes.
4. Hiking at Devil’s Lake State Park, near Baraboo, Wisconsin. Tell your spouse about the snakes once you leave. Oops! Too late! A park so picturesque, it’s hard to believe you are still in Wisconsin!
3. Apostle Islands National Lakeshore, Ashland, Wisconsin. Hiking, boating, and kayaking await, with lots of opportunities for shoreline exploration, rock picking, beaches, the list goes on and on.
2. Explore water falls, Marinette County, Wisconsin. Did you know that Marinette County is the waterfall capital of Wisconsin? Plan for a whole day with a picnic lunch and go see for yourself! Your welcome!
1. Chequamegon Fat Tire Festival, Cable/Hayward, WI. In mid-September there are 2 distances of fit tire biking so popular, riders are selected via lottery to make their mark on the famous Birkebeiner Ski Trail.